Clog free Abraives/sandpaper for paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if anyone could please recommend abraives/sandpapers that doesn't clog up when sanding paint (wall, wood etc).

Is there a product as Clog free sandpaper/discs etc? Looking for a course to medium grit.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
3M sandblaster paper is pretty good and doesn't clog. Very expensive though.

Aluminum oxide paper usually in about A4 sized sheets. from DIY shops & car body repair outlets-best are those which sell to the motor trade & you buy by the pack. suggest 80 grit for heavy 100 general [I use these most] 120 fine

The stuff used by pine furniture makers is called "open-coat stearated aluminium oxide paper" - it is sometimes white in colour, but not always. The stearated coating means that particles of paint, etc are less likely to stick to it (i.e. it is anti-static) whilst the open coat means that the abrasive is applied less densely meaning that the abrasive can better handle dusty materials such as pine without clogging. I tend to use grades below 120 for removal of finishes. 120 is the minimum grit for finish sanding most woods which will be lacquered or varnished and for French polish or oiled finishes I'll go up to 180 or 220 grit for a really smooth finish (a bit overkill if you are just repainting, though).

Good brands include Mirka, Klingspor, 3M and SIA (English Abrasives)

Scrit

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back