Close boarded roof needing re-tile...remove boards first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of trying to buy a 30's house with a close boarded roof, which the survey has reported needs re-tiling. The surveyor seemed to think it would just be a case of stripping the existing tiles, putting sarking felt over the boards, and adding batons and tiles, which he guessed at around £4k.

It isn't a small house so I wouldn't have been surprised if it was a bit more than that, but our first quote has come in at £15k! Two other firms I've spoken to are keen to remove the boards before they felt and tile.

I'd be really grateful for you advice on whether you think the boards should be removed as part of the job, and if you have any comments on cost, I'd love to hear them! Thanks in advance.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
4K!! Blimey, he's hoping.

Looking at the pic 15K is more likely (as a ready reckoner base on about £60-£80 per square metre depending on the tile used)

Plain boards are best left in place if they are still ok and a counter-batten put over then felt, batten and tile. The boarding will give the roof a good deal more strength and will be a shame to remove it

The only time roof boards need removing is if they are rotten or are feather-edged and not plain boards

East Sussex ? . I can recommend 2 roofers . Nothing in it for me but the satisfaction of passing decent guys onto you ;) You`ll probably have to send me a personal message . To avoid advertising :idea:

Thanks chaps.

I spoke to a roofer today who's also going to quote, and he asked what sort of tiles I want. He suggested that for a cost-effective alternative to a clay plain tile (but which still looks in keeping), we could go for a concrete lookalike. Any pros or cons you're aware of?

He was also anti leaving the boards on because he felt it'd make the breathable felt less breathable, but I'm finding the benefit of strength if we leave them on more convincing! Maybe we'll just have to see what state they're in when the tiles are stripped.

Thanks also for the offer of recommendations - unfortunately we're in West Sussex :(

Sponsored Links
The boards will have no detrimental effect on the breather underlay.

Assuming you have hand made tiles (which looks likely) yes there are concrete alternatives such as the Redland Heathland tiles but for a little more money and keeping clay you could also look at a handcrafted tile such as the Goxhill Sussex Blend (this tile may not quite be available yet but looks to be good value), The Heritage Clayhall (imported) or the Eternit Ashdowne.

The only pro's and cons are price and what you want really (unless you are in a conservation area).

Also be aware that you will need to contact your local Building Control who will advise on Insulation requirements as directed by Building Regs, they will charge you based on total cost of the roofing works. (Schedule 3 on the charges sheet)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back