Closed boarding on pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Absolute novice here when it comes to roofs but in need of some advice. I live in a 1930's 3 bed semi-detached property. It still has the original roof on (most the houses in our street do but a handful have been replaced). We're thinking of replacing our roof whilst we have the money to do so. With inflation constantly pushing prices up, we thought it would be a good idea to invest in getting a new roof now. Our roof is closed boarded and tiled with clay Marley tiles. Looking in the loft, all the wood, beams and closed boarding looks in pretty great shape. We have got a couple of quotes from recommended roofers in the area. The company we want use has recommended removing the closed boarding and adding felt, battens and the tiles. In my mind it would be a real shame and possibly counter productive to loose the closed boarding. It's served the house well over its tenure. The reason for removal is that the roofer has said that if kept, he would have to counter batten which would raise the roof level and leave a messy finish to next doors property. I just want to seek peoples advice on this? Surely the closed boarding serves some structural purpose and is more robust than a roof without closed boarding? Is there a correct way to tackle this problem. I mean the roof is currently fine so I don't want to create a problem where there isn't one or replace what has been a fantastic roof with one that is inferior in terms of how long it will last.

Greatly appreciate your advice and knowledge (y)

Sponsored Links
If you are a semi then your guy is rightish.
1930s feather edge board was often used with no battens .this would need to come off. Underlay and batten fitted.
If it's true close board then counter batten will be required.and would cause an issue of heights at your neighbours .

I would be asking the question why cant he just keep to the same strategy if its been working for the last 90yrs?

Feather edge boarding won't allow an underlay .
And if it's true close boarding then it's Likley they never counter battened it just banged battens straight onto the boards .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

'm guessing the battens will replace the strength that the close boarding provided? I'm thinking we don't have much of a choice other than the remove the close boards. I guess in theory, no reason why the batton and felt shouldn't last as long as the close boarding roof did...

Thanks for the advice. I think we'll do as the roofer advises in that case - boards off, felt and batten.

Some pictures in the loft for reference. Joists are 31cm apart.

Attachments

• 20240126_091256.jpg
    20240126_091256.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240126_090905.jpg
    20240126_090905.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240126_090856.jpg
    20240126_090856.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240126_090845.jpg
    20240126_090845.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 37
Thanks Catlad. Most the wood does look good to me so this seems like a good option but most the roofers I've spoken to just want to rip the 90 year old close boarding out as deem keeping it inferior to new battons.

I did read that in Scotland you can just replace any decayed boards, lay breather underlay (Tyvek or similar) and fix new tiles direct to boards as before. This method may seem a bit controversial but is recognised 'Scottish Practice' and generally acceptable apparently.

My question is, will this be stronger and longer lasting than new battons? Would I need to treat the old close boards to give them some longevity.

I'd strip the board too .
Yes it looks good , but you won't get the underlay and you won't get the protection of the underlay during the tiling .
New batten will be treated and meet current regs .. the boards will not .

Thanks all. Pictures of outside here.

Attachments

• 20240127_133843.jpg
    20240127_133843.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240127_133730.jpg
    20240127_133730.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240127_133829.jpg
    20240127_133829.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 28

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back