boarding roof before tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello there
im just trying to learn as much info as i can about roofing and would like to know if its at all common for roofers to board the roof up before battening it and tiling it. If so are there any up or down side to doing it

cheers
jon

Sponsored Links
When roofs are boarded they are called sarkin roofs.If boarding your roof out you would need to counter batton(fit laths from eaves to apex,then fix you laths on top of these) so the water would not sit behind the laths.Its common in scotland but not common in england.

couple of other things im confused about
im lookng at the kingspan website , link below

http://www.insulateonline.com/index1.htm?pitched2.htm~main

on the site it gives you all the different options for insulating a pitch roof

New Build - Full Fill Between & Under Rafter Insulation (surley this is bad as it leaves no air gap?)

Refurbishment - Partial Fill Between & Under Rafter Insulation (i presume this is the standard method?)

is there a current bulding reg for the air gap?

also if you scroll down the page it says Figure 2 (Alternative – Scottish Style Detail) and in the picture the tiles(slates) are attached straight to the sarking board with no batterning at all, whats thas all about

is there a standard method that most buillders use?

if using the over rafter insulation then how if the insulation attached to the rafters?

sorry for the barrage of questions, its just im keen to learn

Most common in England is partial fill keeping the 50mm gap between insulation and underlay.
boarded roof is used occasionally but certainly not the norm these days these would require counter battens before underlay and tiling batten etc..
insulation on the outside of rafter (topside) is usually referred to as warm roof. insulation is attached via heli fix through the counter battens etc...

Sponsored Links
does the weight of the board mean you have to recalculate roof timbers? I suppose you use WBP?

An industrial building I use has Kingspan over the timbers and then slated, I like that idea as it gives good insulation and presumably not much extra labour while the roof is being built. I don't know what the upper surface is like - corrugated or foiled perhaps?

do many people put the small battern either side of the rafters to stop the insulation going in to far or do builders normaly just wedge it in>?
cheers for all the info, im finaly getting it

jon

Most but not all just cut it snuggly and push it in between untill the bottom is flush with the undrside of the rafter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back