Re roof getting done wrong batten size???

L

liam999uk

Hi im currently having a re roof done. Roofer been today most of roof now off and new battens and membrane down. The rafter sizes are 600mm centres but the roofer has only installed 38 x 25 battens instead of 50 x 25 battens. The maufacturer states 50 x 25 battens for the type of tiles we will be using but shall i moan and complain and get him to redo the lot of it he's put on or is it not much to worry about?? Qucik answers needed!! Cheers.

Sponsored Links
rather than asking him to strip it all an easier better option would be to put another 25x38 batten tight under each batten that is already fixed.

This would save damaging the membrane and give extra strength to each course of batten

Thanks for that. I know its recommended and british standard for the double roman tiles that we will be installing that 25 x 50 should be used but the battens that are up there seem quite sturdy anyway. What would putting a second batten achieve if you dont mind me asking? Just taking more of the weight of the tiles?

Sponsored Links
The battens seem sturdy now but they would sag in time, 2 25x38 battens together is in effect 76x25 and would be fine

The battens seem sturdy now but they would sag in time
Its a bit more complex than that and dare I say it scientific. The minimum size was revised in 1997 but its not just that the battens may sag there are various other issues.

A wider batten will enable greater pull out resistance for the nails aiding wind lift resistance.

Battens these days are supposed to be graded but many are not, I believe. If a battens meets the BS's it effectively guarantees their lifespan.

They provided rigidity to the roof structure though more of an issue with trussed roofs.

They provide adequate safety of the roofers during the work.

Furthermore, your roof tile warranty with the manufacturer will be worthless if the tiles are not fitted in accordance with the manufacturers specifications.

In addition to the above if you suffer from any wind damage in the future and the insurance assessor is on the ball it would be reasonable for any home insurance claim to dismissed for the same reasons.

You might want to check the gauge adheres too.

I dare say there are a few other reasons too.

I would not accept them.

The roofer is just being a cheapskate at worst or ignorant at best.

Update - Told the roofer this morning that I wanted them changing. Didn't sound overly happy! Started saying they'd be ample and that his guarantee would cover the roof like I believe that. Anyway think the outcome was get the membrane off and redo that and the battens as thats what I was quoted and thats what the manufacturer recommends as a minimum size for 600mm rafters. It's annoying how I have to keep an eye on tradesmen who should know the minimum requirement in the first place.

Another update.

Roofer has put 50 x 25 battens on now. He's not took the membrane off by the look of it, just pulled the Insufficent laths off carefully and replaced. A few nails have missed the rafters by the look of it putting a nail hole in the membrane close to the rafter. It's been windy and raining bad here and water is getting in to the house along the rafters where the membrane has been nailed and battens fixed.

Is this anything to be worried about? Should water be getting in with the membrane on? This is bearing in mind the house is totally exposed now practically ready for tiling???

The membrane will be peppered with holes now with the battens being removed and replaced, it will be fine once the roof is tiled....Not ideal but only option is to start again.

Thanks for the reply. Surely theres only one extra hole in effect behind the new bigger battens. I have been up and had a good look at the membrane and looks ok. Cant really see it been a problem in the future although i may be wrong?? Thats where the water is coming in at the minute though where the battens are nailed but i presume it will if theres a hole there due to a nail. Im presuming that the tiles do most of the waterproofing and not the membrane. Im putting down to the bad weather on the membrane at the moment....

Thats correct 1 nail hole beneath every batten x ?

Anyway as i said it will be fine once its tiled, membranes are not designed to keep the water out indefinitely.

Agree with alastairreid. Yes your membrane should really be treated as a way of getting the roof watertight(ish) during the re-roof and encase a tile cracks or whatever. Millions of houses do not have any membrane at all.

Have you checked he's got the lap right yet?

Hi yeah the lap and gauge is correct. So at least that something that's right! What about roof tile clips lads? We are putting sandtoft double roman tiles down will they require them as well as nailing at the top??? Cheers for your help by the way much appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back