Close coupled cistern/pan leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a dilemma with a close coupled WC. I have assembled the job exactly as drawn in the paltry instructions (thanks a lot Bathst*re :mad: ) and it is not working!

The problem centres around the cistern outlet and pan entry point. Water is leaking out from somewhere.

I have a doughnut foam washer (the first one was rubbish so got another). Does this sit inside the pan inlet hole? Or do I put it round the end of the cistern outlet pipe?

How tightly do I need to tighten the plastic syphon backnut onto the syphon outlet pipe? I am worried of overtightening and breaking.

Does the metal fitting plate need to be tightened down, by the wing nuts, so much that it touches the top surface of the pan? I am finding it difficult to compress the doughnut washer enough to allow this.

Also, the tighter I take the wing nuts, the more it seems to pull on the syphon backnut and increase the leaking!

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm....you sure your sitting the cister on vertically....you shouldn't see the syphon back nut when you tighten wing nuts. donut should sit in pan hole and you feed siphon pipe in.....but it doesn't really matter, what ever works!. Siphon nut shoul;d be tight. Does it leak only when you flush or when you fill? If on flushing it is definately a donut issue. The foam ones are not much cop....get a large rubber one (plumb center)if it continues to leak.

OK I'll give those tips a try and see how I get on.

It was leaking when the cistern was filled, not just on flushing. This may be related to the siphon back nut but I cannot get it any tighter by hand. Can I use a wrench for this? I have a rubber washer on this at the inside of the cistern and no washer on the outside.

I must say I was rather confused to see a foam doughnut as it is not really waterproof material.

I'll get across to plumb center for a rubber one if I get no success.

Thanks for the tips.

Suggest that you assemble outlet in cistern. Washer inside, washer outside, steel plate and then nut. Tighten up (hand tight is not enough you will need a spanner) and support cistern vertically over the actual bowl of toilet (not in its final position. Fill with a bucket and see if it leaks. If it does you havent tightened the nut enough. .

Once satisfied place doughnut over end of outlet and nut and attach cistern to bowl and tighten up wingnuts. Attach cistern to wall with screws.

Sponsored Links
If its leaking all the time, not just when flushed, then its not the doughnut at fault.

Many times, I have found that the porcelain inside the cistern around the hole where the syphon goes through has imperfections in it. This makes a good seal difficult.

Best thing to do, is remove the cistern from the pan, remove the syphon, and put a SMALL bead of 'Plumbers Mait' paste around the hole inside the cistern where the syphon and rubber seal will be seated.

This should give a good seal.

Tightened the siphon backnut on better, then tested prior to fitting. An hour-odd later, and all seems well. It had better stay that way since I am off out to the pub now :LOL:

Thanks a lot for the advice, it is appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back