close coupled problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I have a small close coupled toilet with a faulty syphon. However, my problem is that i cant undo one of the wingnuts underneath. The space is very tight and i'm sure the wingnut has seized.

Are there any tips for removing it. Is there a special tool out there. I've tried small grips and a set of pliers without sucess.

thanks

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Much the same really, except my preferred weapon is a padsaw, or a 12" hacksaw blade well bound with duct tape as a handle.

I find cheap and cheerful junior hacksaw blades aren't a lot of use for cutting steel. They will just about cut through a dairylea wedge, providing you unwrap it first. A steel bolt will just laugh at them.

When you do get it apart, replace the nut and bolt with a stainless steel one if possible.

Problem with this toilet is that i cant get a saw underneath as the space is really limited. I can get my fingers around the wing nut but cant turn it!!

Thats why i was looking for tips or is there a 'wing nut' tool.

For the padsaw, would i be able to slip the saw between where the upper half (cistern) rests on the lower pan - or would that cause more problems??

Sponsored Links
Yes you could cut it there.
There are "wingnut tools" of various types. EG a tube like 15mm pipe with a slot cut across the end

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back