Close coupling Toilet - Leak or Dew?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK bear with me! Just fitted a new close coupling toilet, all the pipework went in a treat and all solder/compression joints leak free. That was the easy bit!

These Close coupling toilets are a nightmare. Anyway basically I thought I had zero leaks anywhere when I double checked under the cistern. Great I see a couple of drops of water hanging off the close coupling bolts. This is on both sides which is worrying, no steady drips either, Id say about 1 or two drops the whole night or day. This leads me to think if it was Dew or condensation as my other toilet seems to be doing it too!

The toilet came with a foam syphon sort of doughnut washer which I thought was a bit dubious, If there was a leak from the Syphon I'd have thought the pan would be trying to fill which it doesn't seem to be which is pointing to the bolts? I know sealant is a no no and boy I'm tempted with some LSX or the like but though I'd seek some advice first.

Also what is the difference with this Close coupling kit to the bolt only ones you get? The ones I currently got seem to be good quality cone shaped rubber washers which should seal really well.
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...tton.x=0&searchbutton.y=0&searchbutton=submit

Any tips most appreciated!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Could be condensation as you suggest, or (annoyingly) the back nut connecting the syphon to the cistern needs adjusting to get the rubber washer to seal properly. Sometimes a pest to get right.

The cistern and pan are bang on 90 degrees, which leads me to think that foam washer supplied is a bit dodge. some people seen to get a stream of a leak not really a few drops. I really don't want to be taking the cistern apart and messing about if it is nothing to worry about, but being the paranoid freak I am I would prefer it it if I can remedy it, be it taking it apart again.

In hindsight I should have filled it up and tested it before I stuck it on.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Just done a similar job with same outcome.

I too expected a leak but mine is condensation and quite a lot too.

Noticed that the new grohe one has a polystyrene blanket glued to it to stop this happening.This older one doesn't so may have to try some expanding foam to try and form an insulating barrier.

I had the same problem though with a slightly faster drip, took apart the toilet and refitted loads of times (b****y awkward getting it in and out as well) but still a small amount of leaking from by the bolts.
Got the screw fix kit and no leeks at all.

The only bit of the kit that was needed was the doughnut, slightly smaller than the original with a flat and a round edge. Though the longer bolts made it a bit easier as well.

I think mine is coming from the two bolts too. The nature of the design means that when you tighten the wing nuts it will pull the rubber tapered washer in the cistern down and loosen the underside bolt and washer causing it to break the washer seal. No matter how much you tighten this underside bolt, when you tighten the wing nuts its too much pressure pulling the cistern together. Well thats my theory, now trying to find a workaround. I got a few things and will post up any successes.

Cheers!

It's an irritation. You don't need to tighten the wingnuts too tight.

If all else fails, take it apart, dry it off and use some sanitary sealant prior to tightening up the central nut. Shouldn't really, but desparate times.... :rolleyes:

to check if it is condensation, flush it and hold up the float, and refill it with bucketfuls of water from the hot tap.

Pref do this when it will not be flushed for several hours and get cold again

if it is still wet after that, you have a leak

condensation is usually visible on the sides of the cistern anyway.

close couple can be a pain,,, here's a few,,, the pottery is almost certainly made abroad,, when it arrives in the UK the internals are usually added ie ball valve etc some like china come complete,,,,
1 its likely to be a drop valve,, but if it is a syphon make sure its not a...

McDEE as these have a well known design fault
2 it sounds as though it as holes drilled through the cyst em box theses should be ptfe AS they can leak
3 if it as a plate to bolt through there are two sizes,,, this can be a problem
4 there are many types of doughnut the one you have is no guarantee its correct

close couple can be a pain,,, here's a few,,, the pottery is almost certainly made abroad,, when it arrives in the UK the internals are usually added ie ball valve etc some like china come complete,,,,
1 its likely to be a drop valve,, but if it is a syphon make sure its not a...

McDEE as these have a well known design fault
2 it sounds as though it as holes drilled through the cyst em box theses should be ptfe AS they can leak
3 if it as a plate to bolt through there are two sizes,,, this can be a problem
4 there are many types of doughnut the one you have is no guarantee its correct

Did you check the date???

Andy

A common problem with these.

Get rid of the supplied doughnut and get a nice fat "normal" one from a plumbers merchant.

Fit this without any LSX, silicon or any other gunge - it becomes a nightmare if it doesn't seal first time.

With the fatter doughnut the cistern might sit slightly higher and the holes where you attach the cistern to the wall may not line up, but you can make new ones if necessary.

Tighten both wing nuts at the same time to a similar torque.

It won't leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back