Fixing a new close coupled toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just fitted a new armitage shanks close coupled toilet...only problem is it has a slow leak from the syphon...donut seems fine...

The syphon has a thin washer then through the cistern a large nut which also holds the fixing plate in place ...guess that layout is pretty standard...

First I don't have a spanner/wrench big enough to tighten this nut (6.5cm diameter) and struggling to find something? What do plumbers use and where do you buy them?

Secondly in the instructions it says not to over tighten it...so we didn't and it leaked like a waterfall -
It was really difficult to get tight (syphon was moving but still leaked) - now it seems pretty tight - (used homemade tool - worked but unwieldy)...should it be so difficult or is there something wrong - manufacturing fault /wrong assembly? It isn't cross threaded...

Finally in one of the sheds -I was advised to use plumbers mait instead of the washer - was told that's what plumbers do all the time - chuck the useless washers away and use plumbers mait...
I thought real plumbers didn't like plumbers mait.... :confused:

Sponsored Links
Often these things come with their own quality plastic spanner, but I use a thin smear of silicone on the inside, and either a huge adjustable spanner (carefully) or some large slip joint pliers.
John :)

Silicone and these...
IR-VG_GV8_2078108.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for quick replies - so the washers are a bit rubbish then...and need something else....I'll look into getting some LSX

Still struggling to get adjustable pliers big enough - even Bahco ones at £35 only go to 55mm and I need 65mm - but at least I now know their proper name ....
Can see lots of 'water pump pliers' - which look similar - are they? but it only seems to say how long they are...not how wide they open

Trying to avoid getting one of those massive adjustable wrenches...limited use in a tight space (for other jobs) but plenty of leverage I guess ....

Toolstation seem to do a perfect wide jaw adjustable wrench - with a shorter handle - but are out of stock..:(

What are strap wrenches like - any use?

Water pump pliers is indeed another name, and strap wrenches aren't really what you need here.
Whatever sealant you go for, dry off the bottom of the cistern first and make sure the original rubber washer is there.
John :)

i always take them apart to silicone them back together, they aways leak.

easier to spend a few minutes doing this, than the hassle of removing a fitted toilet full of water afterwards.

Sorry I'd thought I'd replied to kirkgas -but it isn't here...if it is a double post sorry...
I looked up 9 inch footprints and they only open 48mm (according to amazon) :(
Even the 12 inch only opens to 60mm and of course I need 65mm (and I have double checked it is that big)
Am now at swearing point with the b*****d thing...but at least I now have some tool names to search for...thinking I might even phone armitage shanks and see what they recommend
(why didn't I go for the B&Q toilet to go at £50 - sure it wouldn't have had such a big nut and if it did leak a bit wouldn't be soooo annoyed...)

the nut shouldnt have to be that tight.

trouble is sometimes the ceramic on the toilets are rough and dont give a smooth surface for the rubber washer to seal, hence the silicone.

I bought a good pair of water pump grips for a quid in Poundland recently. Good quality too.

trouble is sometimes the ceramic on the toilets are rough and dont give a smooth surface for the rubber washer to seal, hence the silicone.

I wondered about this - on the outer side there is a small ridge in the ceramic around the edge of the hole on one side
- can't really get my head round it :oops: but was thinking that the nut might be pulling the fixing plate tight against this and thus the flush valve washer inside but the non-ridge side wouldn't be so tight...if that makes any sense...
and even so a decent washer/silicone would get round that...
Still haven't found a suitable spanner/wrench etc - when I do I'll post it here in case anyone else every needs one in the future...

Thank you everyone for the advice etc - it is always good to know it is a common problem (I am not being (too) stupid) and there is a simple solution :D

I'm going to get the superwide jaw adjustable wrench from Toolstation - it will be in stock next tue and I haven't found anything else.

I phoned AS and they couldn't suggest a tool ...or why it was leaking... but did offer to send me a replacement washer... :rolleyes:

But - finger crossed - it has stopped leaking anyway ... I didn't do anything it just seems to have stopped...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back