Close coupled toilet leaking from bolts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed water on the floor behind my toilet and a closer look shows that it is leaking from one of the bolts securing the cistern to the pan. I've added pics - underneath the pan there is just a washer and a wingnut, rather than the arrangement in the pic in the thread below. Should there be a washer and a normal nut, then a washer and a wingnut?

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=222339

Anyway, I tightened up the wingnut as tight as I can by hand which reduced the leak a bit but it is still there. Is it just a case of replacing the washer inside the cistern, or do I need to buy a whole new kit of bolts and washers? If it's just the washer - what's it called - a washer? seal? or is it one of these dome/cone shaped ones I've read about in other threads? As you can tell I'm a novice, and havent taken any of it apart yet. Hopefully the pics will help.

Sponsored Links
Hi
You need to romove the cistern. These type of cisterns fixings are a joke. Best bet fit rubber washers, stainless washers and back nuts under cistern with a blob of silicon. Then place through pan and use original wing nuts etc. It could of course be leaking from badly fitted donut washer so check that too.

:confused:

Sponsored Links
Hi
You need to romove the cistern. These type of cisterns fixings are a joke. Best bet fit rubber washers, stainless washers and back nuts under cistern with a blob of silicon. Then place through pan and use original wing nuts etc. It could of course be leaking from badly fitted donut washer so check that too.

:confused:

Bugger. I was hoping not to have to remove the cistern as the thought of removing the Torbeck and the syphon is beyond my capabilities! I also didn't realise there was a washer between the cistern and the pan. I just thought it was a rubber washer in the cistern, tightened down by the wingnut underneath the pan. Is there always a second rubber washer in between the cistern and the pan?

And how do I check the donut washer - is it under the syphon? visible from under the pan?

Is it tricky to do? I can see I'd have to unscrew the bolts securing the cistern to the pan, and the bolts holding the cistern to the wall. I'd have to unscrew the hose goiing into the bottom of the torbeck but is that it? The siphon/flush and torbeck can otherwise stay in place?

There's an isolation valve thankfully so I wouldnt have to turn the mains off. Has anyone got any other pointers?

Oh, and is this the kit I need?

First, to be sure of the source of the leak. If water only appears when it's flushed, or shortly afterwards, then it may be the doughnut washer between the flush valve and the pan, with the water appearing around the bolt holes as it's path of least resistance.

Judicious tightening of the wingnuts might clamp up and re-seal a leaking doughnut.

If it's a constant leak, the fixing bolts are the more likely source.

The fixing bolts will have to come out if tightening the wing nuts doesn't work, and it may be easier to replace the doughnut whilst you'ver got it apart anyway.

For the fixing bolts, do as above. Put a blob of sealant under the bolt head before you drop the penny washer over the bolt. Spread sealant on bottom of penny washer. Re-fit the rubber washer, or replace it with a similar sized tap washer. Put sealant on the bottom of that and/or around the hole in the cistern.

Drop the bolt through cistern, fit an additional penny washer and hex. nut under the cistern if there's room for it.

Re-fit cistern, fit the penny washer and wing nut under the pan. No need for any sealant there. Tighten both bolts evenly to clamp the doughnut washer between cistern and pan.

Drop the bolt through cistern, fit an additional penny washer and hex. nut under the cistern if there's room for it.

Thanks for the detailed post. Regarding the stage I've quoted above - are you saying that on some systems there isn't a washer and hex nut directly under the cistern between it and the pan? I've looked at a differnet toilet and I can see a rubber washer between the cistern and the pan, but on mine there is no washer (either rubber or penny) visible from outside the toilet. Could it just be one rubber washer in the cistern, and it' s secured to the pan by the wingnut under the pan, or is there always a 'middle' washer, if you see what I mean.

Thanks, I know I have the first type but what I'm asking is, is there always a washer nut fixed directly to the bottom of the cistern or on some loos can it just be that the bolt drops through the cistern then into the pan and the rubber washer is essentially only tightened up by the wingnut under the pan - in other words there is no washer directly under the cistern as in the pic?

Yes some bolts don't have an extra washer and nut holding it to the cistern. They drop straight through. They are rubbish.

I put extra nut and washers on in this situation. Costs pennies and saves lots of agro.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back