Closeboard problem -loose arris rail in morticed wooden post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i have been starting to replace my old wooden panel fencing with some closeboard. I had to cut back and shape the ends of 2 arris rails to receive into hole,

but have discovered that i slightly overdid it and they do not fit snugly into the mortise, in fact there is a few mm gap around square . (its been over 30 years that i last did any sort of woodwork - thats my excuse):cool:

think when i nail from featheredge side of fence, the rail will not sit flush to rest featheredge boards (am using 3.3" nails for 4"x4" post. )

was thinking of filling gap with some spare timber so there was no movement but thought this might not be good long term solution

does anyone have and ideas..? thanks

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know how long i would need to wait for the cement to dry and to erect the featherboards? i'd read on this forum somewhere that 48 hours but now read in one of my old DIY books that this needs to be a week.
the cement is a dry mix of 1:6

Sponsored Links
when we do a fence, we ram the dry mix in solid, erect the fence, and if its a small one get teh feather edge on teh same day. There may be a little movement in the posts, but you can level this up at the end, and then pour the water on them.

if youve added teh water then give them 48 hrs and it will be more than fine

thanks Thermo for clarifying this.
the method i followed for my first post was to mix a semi dry mix (ie bit of water/aggregate/cement) but i'd read somewhere to soak the mix last thing in the day so i added about a litre or two at the end of the first day. is this ok or does this extra watering weaken teh concrete.

it was also a very warm day was for a few days later and i'd read that the concrete should be kept moist for hte first 6 or so days so have been adding a bit of water for the first 2 or 3 days.

no the extra water wont be a problem. dont worry about adding nore, its in teh ground it wont dry out. just leave it to do its business

think might use your method next time. sounds easier if you dont have to mix in the water before the concrete is shovelled into the hole.
do you only add water at the end of the day (if so, how much?).
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back