Closed back toilet won't go back. Pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please see pics. I've installed a few of these closed back without any issues but when it comes to my own house, the one I got has tested my paitence I tell you. I even had to trim the back of it with a grinder because it was hitting the waste and water pipe.

Now when I go to push it back, it won't go back as far as the wall. There's nothing in the way and the only think I can think off is the flexi being to long. Which brings me onto my next question. Can these be shortened in anyway or have I to treck into town to get something else. I can't see how a rigid pan connector will do trying to get one of them on I'm sure is a nightmare.

Any tips on how to sort this?

IMG_20230106_185537567.jpg
IMG_20230106_185713330.jpg

Sponsored Links
Long shot but might it be the floor brackets stopping it?

You should know if the flexi is too long when contracted by using a measure.

Sponsored Links
It's not the fixings. The top of the outlet is 230mm but when the flexi is a full 90, it's 250/260mm because of the old outlet in the floor.

The only thing I can think off is a shorter flexi or cut this one but will I still get the bend I need for it. The last toilet had a ridgid pan connector without any issues.
IMG_20230106_192256466.jpg
IMG_20230106_192336523.jpg

Hard to tell from pics ,where is the soil pipe in the floor in relation to the tiled wall ?
It appears to be in front of the tiled wall ? If it is, the radius of the bend in the Flexi Is too great and will not allow the pan to go back further.

Hard to tell from pics ,where is the soil pipe in the floor in relation to the tiled wall ?
It appears to be in front of the tiled wall ? If it is, the radius of the bend in the Flexi Is too great and will not allow the pan to go back further.

The soil pipe is flush with the tiled wall. I hear what your saying. What is the alternative? Before I had a ridgid pan connector inside a cut soul pipe into the soil pipe connector.

The only thing I can think off is to put the rigid pan connector back and try to line it up, push back and hope for the best haha.

If I could reduce the flexi somehow I think this would work but I've never taken one apart, cut and put back together. Thsts if it's even possible.

Ive never tried cutting down a flexi. Is there not a Swan neck connector that will fit? Can always use a Dentists mirror for a look before the final push. ;)

If the toilet is to be there forever I would think of cutting / grinding so much of the wall tile away directly behind the plastic soil pipe .

You can't cut down Flexi pan connectors.
Show us a bird's eye view of the soil pipe / to wall proximity

Is the flexi the shortest you can get as a shorter one will fold more tightly and hopefully bring it down a few cm.
They are available in different lengths.

You could also try placing the pan on some ply wood strips and then sliding it back and then remove the wood. It may help locate it but you obviously want the flex going down hill but may be ok

Excuse the mess. Few wipes and it'll be fine.

The old pan connector is 160mm of the wall. See pic.

From the toilet outlet, till the very back of the closed back toilet is 190mm.

Is there any extension piece I can get to push that'll be 30,mm. I know this is extension straights but at 30mm, this seems tight.

265mm closed is the flexi. 565mm fully opened

IMG_20230106_210001456.jpg
IMG_20230106_210033916.jpg
IMG_20230106_210703083.jpg
IMG_20230106_210703083.jpg
IMG_20230106_210748073.jpg

If the toilet is to be there forever I would think of cutting / grinding so much of the wall tile away directly behind the plastic soil pipe .

I don't think if I take the tile out this would sort it. I'd have to go into the wall with a kangoo and this is alot of work, messy work too.

You need an angled pan connector with a longer length on the horizontal secction.
Macalpine do one ,but I can't remember the product code.
Will have a look after the footy finishes.
Or you could use a straight pan connector with the seals removed ,fitted straight into the existing angled pan connector.

You need an angled pan connector with a longer length on the horizontal secction.
Macalpine do one ,but I can't remember the product code.
Will have a look after the footy finishes.
Or you could use a straight pan connector with the seals removed ,fitted straight into the existing angled pan connector.

I was thinking maybe I could use a straight connector into the existing although I'd prefer if ya could get it, the first one you describe if the horizontal part isn't out to much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back