Closing holes in aerated concrete blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have opened some "pigeon" holes into a number of blocks in order to put joists through, about 50 x 100 each. I then changed my mind about the joists (there is another thread) and made more holes higher up.

I would like to close up the extra holes (on the photo, the bottom row) and am considering the right material. I could use mortar, but mortar is very hard and the aerared blocks are much softer. I would like to match the filler material to the blocks as much as possible, so for example, if in the future someone drills into that area they will not notice too much of a difference.

Could you suggest a method (other than standard mortar) ?

Attachments

• 20230617_164624.jpg
    20230617_164624.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
Could you suggest a method (other than standard mortar) ?
Can you ask a question that does not rule out the most sensible answer?

Because the blocks are very dry and absorbent, they will, unless properly wetted first, prevent mortar from curing properly and gaining strength.

Sponsored Links
Can you ask a question that does not rule out the most sensible answer?
I was thinking as mortar tends to shrink and crack a lot, there are other fillers I could use, hardwall, repair mixes, adhesives, grouts, etc and wanted to see if anyone has experience with something that will work well with those "soft" blocks to close those large holes but also other cracks and bad joints here and there.

Because the blocks are very dry and absorbent, they will, unless properly wetted first, prevent mortar from curing properly and gaining strength.
Yes you are right. And to think the whole house was built like this. I do not even want to think how strong all the joints are. But, to be honest, I have not seen bricklayers wetting the blocks first on other sites.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back