Closing Stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick Question , at the moment i have open stairs, and i was hoping to close them off so i could convert the space under the stairs to storage

to change open-stairs to closed whats the cheapest way? they are clearly supported and enforced to withstand the weight without the backing, so am i right in assuming i don't have to bother with risers?

can i just screw wood or mdf to the back of each step and then carpet the stairs from that?

or is there an alternative way you could suggest..

carpenty is clearly not my thing so hoping to get some advice on the cheapest way

thanks!!

Sponsored Links
You will need to measure every riser and glue and screw from every step from the tread and back of the step below.

Measure every step and note 1- 10 (or what ever number you need) and then go to a timber yard and ask them to cut these for you. I would use 25mm MDF for strength. Don't forget to pre drill the step to fix into the riser below and pre drill the riser to fix to the rear of the step below. You can also put candle wax or soap onto the screw tread to go into the timber easier.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back