wood flooring what can I do with the stairs please, Clad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello guys/girls

Flooring downstairs will be wood, a light oak colour, and the same at the top of the landing...

I really don't want to put carpet just on the stairs. and I cant spend loads of money I don't have.

so there are the stairs and a raised plinth at the bottom about 1m square the plinth is.

I would like to clad the step and the raised plinth. what is the cheapest way I can go about this please. I just want to do something different with the stairs, and not carpet.

I would really just like to clad the step, a nice oak colour, and have the riser white, if you understand. could I used wide plank flooring? and can you get some sort of nose for the edges?

does it have to be one piece?

what can be done of a budget and does anyone have any links or other ideas that I can do with the stair treads and the plinth. I am open to any suggestions except carpet that will last and wear well.

Darren

Sponsored Links
I had the same issue. My landing is wood flooring. I then extended this to cover the last riser to the landing and used the nosing in the link below to, effectively, replace the top landing nosing. I then cleaned up and made good the bottom step nosing and had carpet laid from the last tread upstairs to the plinth//last tread downstairs.

Hope that makes sense.

Here is the link;

http://realoakfloors.co.uk/solid_hard_wood_stair_nosing.php

Thank you, I would love to not use carpet at all, so don't know really what to do.... Like I said, I really just want to do all the stair treads and have the risers white.... I don't know really what to do.

I would have thought there would have been a lot of people who had wood at the top and down stairs, that wanted to do something with the steps (treads)

anyone else please

Darren

Your best bet is 'overlay' flooring, not normal floorboards due to the possible excessive saw-waste. Overlay flooring means 9 or 10mm thick wood planks (like parquet) without bevels or grooves underneath. You can 'clad' the steps with it by glueing and nailing them onto the existing steps. You can even router the edge of the overlay board so it isn't a square edge at the beginning of your step.

Then you have to sand the overlay boards, fill the nail holes and apply a finish: we recommend HardWaxOil.

Sponsored Links
Overlay boards!

Thank you for this, if I was to nail them in place and fill.... would the nail marks where I have filled it still show? I would somehow have to stain over them?

sounds good.... can I get this stuff and most places? timber yards or just flooring places? what sort of wood are they I don't mind as long as I can stain it or whatever. I have also seen little metal edge trims that can look nice, but I dont know what they are called and cant find them.

Once again, thank you for your reply.

Darren

If you collect the sand-dust from grit 80 sanding and mix that with special wood-filler the holes will show the same colour in the end (slight colour differences in teh beginning which will fade)

Afterwards you can apply natural of colour hardWaxOil.
Overlay is a special product, we get ours from our Dutch Design Parquet manufacturer.

Thank you, I have also seen this, the bottom 2 the duo and the frontier http://www.styleflooring.co.uk/front1.htm type on nosing that can be used with normal flooring on the treads.. have you ever seen or used this?

I don't have a clue how much it costs, says it comes in 3m lengths.

Darren

There are various types of stair nosings around, ours comes in two parts for easy fitting (and in long lengths)

Thank you for the info, ill be in touch.

It must be quite common now for people not wanting to use carpet on the stairs.

Darren

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back