Closing Underground soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my old soil pipe removed and have dug out most of the underground pipe which leads to the sewer inspection chamber. It is an old style pipe (clay??) rather than PVC. I will be having building control come around to assess the job soon, am I able to simply cement/concrete up the hole/pipe from the sewer inspection chamber - and also the side that i have cut which is exposed, to stop anything getting in or smells getting out of this pipe.

I bought a connector which would cap off the pipe - but it didnt fit into the clay pipe.. so was after a different "building control" friendly method

Sponsored Links
ambercelery said:
am I able to simply cement/concrete up the hole/pipe from the sewer inspection chamber - and also the side that i have cut which is exposed, to stop anything getting in or smells getting out of this pipe.
Yes. Jam a ball of newspaper up there first so you have something to push the concrete up against.

I've used a child's (small) football to block a soil pipe before concreting: seemed a bit more reliable than scrunched-up paper.

Sponsored Links
Who's relying on paper?

The OP is putting concrete in there, which is lot "more reliable" than a football that is GUARANTEED to deflate over the years (if you're lucky). And when it does, what will stop it slipping along and blocking the channel or a chamber output? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back