Closing up vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, hope you're well

When I bought the house 5 years ago I drilled through the inner cavity wall and added trickle vents at old fireplaces.

I don't think it's made any difference other than blasting cold air from within the cavity into bedrooms and i want to seal them up as they were before.

I presume I could just use foam. But is there some other way to ensure I don't fill the cavity with gunge? The holes aren't massive, maybe 3 x 5 inches. Would you use sand and cement or something? And then I'll skim the hole in the plaster.

Hope I'm making some sense. Skill level low.

Sponsored Links
You say you have trickle vents at blocked up fireplaces? Do you mean Hit-and-Miss vents?
And vents through the walls in your bedrooms.
Now you want to seal the bedroom wall vents?

You say you have trickle vents at blocked up fireplaces? Do you mean Hit-and-Miss vents?
And vents through the walls in your bedrooms.
Now you want to seal the bedroom wall vents?
Thanks for replying.

They're vents you can open and close. I put them in, having drilled through to what I thought / think was the chimney.

The chimney has venting to the exterior already and all it seemed to do was pull cold air into the room.

So I have now filled with expandable foam and polyfilla so it's now flush again. I'll paint tomorrow. Any problems appearing I will need to reconsider but hopefully OK for now.

I bought ready mix mortar thinking I'd be able to fill the hole I made in the brick work but couldn't figure out how to do it without making a huge mess, so just used a small amount of foam.

Sponsored Links
When I bought the house 5 years ago I drilled through the inner cavity wall and added trickle vents at old fireplaces.

All chimneys need hit and miss vents at the base, plus some form of ventilated cap to prevent rain entering and all ventilation.

Are the vents you have made, in addition to the above essential ones?

Two of the chimneys have been removed, and vents added to the exterior. The other one has been capped and lead works renewed.

Do you think I need to do a U-turn and open them back up? Or wait and see...?

I should add, when I put them in I was definitely winging it. Followed a rough guide I read online and went for it. They poured cold air into the room, I thought maybe they'd allow warm air to go up but was surprised how much cold air they pumped in.

I've done some more reading and I *think*

For chimneys removed to below roof line (two of three in my case) these shouldn't be vented in bedroom as hot air running up can condense.

For capped chimneys (one of three in my case) these should be vented in room. I may reinstall one, we were thinking of getting a fire put back in anyway so can see how it goes this year with quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back