vent in bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just a quicky guys,

i have a bathroom to skim the weekend, now the only tricky bit is the customer wants a vent to be plastered up, she said she will open the window for ventilation when she has a shower.

what is the best solution, should i fill the hole in with foam then stick some pb in and skim, or is there another method to use.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
That’s the easiest way I suppose but you will need to tape the around perimeter or it will probably crack. The best way to do it is to chip away the base coat 100mm all around the vent hole & lay in a lump or PB on the wall larger than the hole fill, tape & skim out level with the rest of the wall. You will need some insulation behind there or will case a huge cold spot where moisture will condense.

You might like to advise her that by doing away with the vent she will get all sorts of problems with condensation, she would be far better fitting an extract fan which will them comply with current Building Regulations.

She’s not thinking of tiling this plaster is she? Plaster is not a good tile base especially if she’s thinking of having large format tiles; it has a lowish weight limit. Shower areas also need a waterproof tile base or the tiles & the plaster they will be stuck to aren’t likely to last long.

cheers richard i might just do that instead.

what type of insulation is best for the hole? only need a little to fill the hole.

no she isnt tiling, i am only skimming where there are no tiles, all the tiling is already in place.

thanks again

the best way to close an airbrick is to brick it up and cover it with sand and cement then skim or tile or what ever

Sponsored Links
She would be much better to replace the vent with an exhaust fan including a run on timer and a non return flap.
Exclude moisture and vitiated air!

For the PB fix, I was merely thinking of future accessibility as opposed to the permanency of bricking it up. Given it’s a shower room, it should really have an extract fan to comply with current Regs & that’s what I would advise. If the lady in question doesn’t want to fit one & is intent on boarding up the only form of background ventilation she has, insulating & boarding over will at least give an easy route for her or someone else to open it up & do it properly in the future after condensation & mould has destroyed her décor & tiling. ;)

hi there, right she still wants it covered up so what is the best insulation to put into the hole. is foam plus pb enough? only need a couple of handfuls of something.

also her walls are painted, i normally score them before pva but on my last job one of the walls started to blister?

cheers guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back