clueless- consumer units, and earth terminals/rods

il78 said:
Do you not consider downstairs / kitchen sockets to be expected to power equipment outdoors, I know you have stated external sockets protected.....but not everyone has these....

Generally I would agree that this would be the case, but as the board is being changed it would be prudent to think ahead and possibly install a single weatherproof socket outside for this purpose.

The problem with putting an RCD on every ring is that electronic equipment has a habit of nuisance tripping RCD's

It is easier if you are there and looking at the installation.

Sponsored Links
thank you FWL and Il78

I found out that Midlands Electricity (who look after the infrastructure) are offering free visual checks of your installation if you have an old style fuse board. They'll also quote on any work needed.

I gave them a ring and someone is coming tomorrow. It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say about my earth situation and the solution. FWL-I'll bear in mind what you've said about their responsibility.

Amanda ;)

FWL

Prepare to stand corrected.

I have seen many an installation where the supply cable has been tapped off next door and comes in conduit.

Sponsored Links
il didn't know you hailed from NW!

I've lived here most of my life, but was born in Aberystwyth of London parentage, so don't feel much affinity to the area, despite the length of time I've lived here!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back