Clunking Noise???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new washing machine fitted this Wednesday, and since then, everytime i turn my water on upstairs there is a loud clunking noise from the pipes under the floorbaords.

My old washer had a cold and warm water inlet pipes on the back, but the new washing machine is cold fill only, so the other pipe has been blocked off.

Any ideas what may be the cause of the noise??

Thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
Yes, it is when i open the hot tap, it is now happening at the kitchen tap too :(

Sponsored Links
Two ideas, both assuming you have a combi system supplying hot water.

One is that when the hot inlet to the washing machine was connected there was a long rubber hose able to absorb any sudden pressure fluctuations. This is no longer connected and now the sudden pressure fluctuations cause clunking.

The other idea is that air is trapped in the pipe to the closed off hot washing machine valve. The sudden expansion and contraction of this trapped (compressed) air when a tap is opened causes the clunking. In this case you can open the w/m valve slightly to release any trapped air.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back