Odd clunk after installing washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

i have just replaced my washing machine which had both hot and cold feeds, with a single cold feed model.

now i cant see how i have broken anything, i have only turned off the falve for the warm water and disconnected the pipe.

every time i turn off the hot water now i am getting a rather loud clunk noise....

doesnt happen if i turn the tap off slowly and nothing on the cold end

Sponsored Links
possibly some kind of water hammer on the hot supply....check around the hot feed to the machine which you don't use anymore. a chance that when the pipe was connected it held the hot pipe away from something. a piece of cabinet, or wall. so maybe needs some packing or padding around where it may touch.

double checked and there is nothing that held it away etc, however when i connect the pipe again, and put the tap to the pipe on again

then bung the end with a cloth in a bucket (incase of drips and turn hot tap on and off it doesnt do it......

strange!

Won't cure your problem, but cap the valve with a 3/4" cap and hose washer. Better safe than flooded.

Sponsored Links
hi there

yeah i know it wont fix the problem, just saying when its like that it doesnt happen which i find strange.....

A poorly supported pipe left waving around in the breeze could rattle about with the hose on the end removed, but replacing the hose (and filling it with water?) may lend it enough extra support / rigidity / extra mass to stop it making a noise.

Either eliminating the 'dead leg' completely, or fitting an extra pipe clip or two may offer a permanent solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back