Coal Bunker - New Frame - What paint - Timber Treatment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old stle coal bunker outside the house thats built into part of a soiled bank, over the years the frame has rotted and coal hasn't been used in over ten years.

Have had the frame taken down and a new one built ready to go back, the new wood I think is treated but not painted with any timberguard or fence tratement and the coal bunker is concrete flooring and breeze block walls., Once the wooden frame goes back it will be reasonably dry from the elements.

My questions are these:
1: What is the best way to treat the timber? as in what can I paint on to it that will extend it's life and protect it from the elements to a degree? Needs to be reasonably rain resistant and I guess topped up every couple of years? There are sloping tops and new doors (typical coalbunker design)

2: The coalbunker is now going to sort of take some of the children's smaller garden toys and maybe the inflatable paddling pools ..a storage area if you please. I want to paint the concrete floor and the breeze block walls, sort of like the floor paint you find in garages. What type of paint? I'd like it waterproof if possible.

Last bunker doors used to allow frogs/snails in, and whilst the new doors will be better their may be a small gap underneath them 1/2 inch or so (due to the outside of the bunker having a slightly raised floor ..so they've been planed to compensate....but is there anything I can pt on the bottom of the doors such a a rugged strip of rubber that would catch the floor when closing but would then stop the local slugs/snails/frogs from taking refuge amongst the children's toys?

Any suggestions as to the above timber treatment/ paint for the bunker etc? bearing in mind the breeze-blocks may take some painting but that's not so bad...

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
I like bedec for surfaces that have potential for problems and don't need to be aesthetically bang on.
Barn paint is really good and so is their MSP. Both suitable for the doors and the walls.
I don't do a lot with staining and oiling but my preference is the two coat sikkens system. You might need something a bit more industrial though ... how we all miss creosote !!! (or not, possibly).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back