COAL FIRES

Sponsored Links
Will all depend on the quality of the coal your burning and the quantity.
Northern coal is better than southern shandy coal :D :D

Very difficult to measure the efficiency of a coal fire as most heat will disappear upwards into the chimney. However a multifuel stove which can burn coal is a baffled appliance which will radiate heat into the room and I have read claims that they could be over 75% efficient.

Sponsored Links
The heat doesn't go straight up the chimney, it's deflected into the room by the slope of the fire bricks that form the fireplace. According to the coalman I have, most of the coal in the country nowadays comes from Poland.
I live in an area that used to be covered with pits, there's only one operating now and it's open cast. It'll probably be mined out in a year or two.
Get a big bucket on and take your shirt off. Oh, and lashings of burny hot water too, I've measured mine at 92°C from the kitchen tap.

The efficiency of a coal fire is 100%. 100% of the heat it produces gets lost in the end.

Doesn't all heat get lost in the end, isn't that how heating works? I have radiators too, they lose their heat into the rooms. My mate's storage heaters do the same thing funnily enough.

poxi said:

oi yer scruffy northern numpty, why mine coal when we had northerners to do it all, besides if wasnt for maggie thy'll all be deeeed int bott' o pit lad, so dont be sayin nowt about are lager when yours is full o fizz and make theh fart all neet :D :D :D

doyle said:
poxi said:

oi yer scruffy northern numpty, why mine coal when we had northerners to do it all, besides if wasnt for maggie thy'll all be deeeed int bott' o pit lad, so dont be sayin nowt about are lager when yours is full o fizz and make theh fart all neet :D :D :D

you arse you mebbe should have been on the lines :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So a coal fire is 32% numsculls efficient. Anyone know the percentage numscull efficiency of my one bar electric fire?

Depends on the type of flue..if its completely open like the cast iron replica inset I've got, the efficiency is awful. My in laws have a smaller stone built one, which throws much more heat out, and has an unfashionable stone-brick surround which also retains tons of heat.
I'm sure if you can burn the coal in something a bit more closed you would get more heat in the room.
As for figures, I have read between -10% and +15%. Yes, negative efficiency! i.e. they can cool the house if the draw up the chimney is high enough, they will suck warm air into the room and up the chimney.
I could move to a gas/flame effect one but you don't get the caveman - ug - me create fire experience. May be I would just have to buy a zippo to compensate.

kevplumb said:
doyle said:
poxi said:

you a**e you mebbe should have been on the lines :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

neh thehll not get londoners dowern pit lad, us city folk int into gettin hand dirty, we leaves it to folk like you up yonder.:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back