Coax plug fitting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just opened up a couple of iec type coax female connectors to fit them and was surprised to find no grub screw to hold the inner coax core. They were advertised as screw type so I expected a small screw like the ones in all the other connectors I have fitted (unless solder type which these aren't).
Can anyone tell me how these are fitted. Surely they don't just rely on the inner core being pushed into the end of the pin for a contact. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Pictures?
Wavy copper core inserted is often good enough. Especially for RF. DC continuity is another matter.
Some 'crimp' the wire to centre pin with pliers/cutters.
Solder is a skill to not melt the nylon. I use a drill or similar to remove plating if I do solder.

NB Belling Lee / IEC TV plugs were never meant for 75 ohm and UHF frequencies.

Modern UHF kit uses F-plugs and sockets which are 75 ohm. More reliable and better DC connection.

I'd probably use double-enders rather than female B-L sockets.

With F-plugs you can get adapters to B-L.

Would definitely melt the plastic if I tried to solder, been there before. There is so little penetration of the core into the pin. I don't like these at all. Might be a trip to screwfix for some f plugs or fit the ones I have temporarily to get the tv back up and running until I get some f plugs elsewhere.

Toolstation if you have one sell Blake/Proception F-plugs with better nuts than many alternatives out there if you choose the Cu/Cu CT100 type (and your cable is the correct diameter).

The Labgear ones in Screwfix are horrible small, sharp nuts (imho). I have some from before I knew better ;).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I have fitted one of the new plugs temporarily and all is working ok. Will be replacing with F plug and adapter or F to BL cable soon though. Thanks for the heads up re f plug quality, will choose wisely.

The cables I am fitting connectors to are flying leads coming through a modified wall faceplate. One is for the roof aerial and the other for a backup loft aerial. Is it more usual for flying leads like these to be fitted with male or female f connectors?

Sorry, I think I know the answer to my question above. There doesn't seem to be a female version of a male f plug available. Am I right in thinking only male connectors are used on cable ends and f type couplers are used to join cables if required?

Sorry, I think I know the answer to my question above. There doesn't seem to be a female version of a male f plug available. Am I right in thinking only male connectors are used on cable ends and f type couplers are used to join cables if required?

Yeah, male is the norm, given that most appliances are female.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back