Code 5 lead flashings for roof valley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an assignment I need to do and one of the topics is Code 5 lead flashings for roof valley, I was wondering if anyone has any information to do with repair, maintenance and typical defects of it.

Any information would be much appreciated
Nick

Sponsored Links
A lead valley laid in the porper fashion should last the life of the rest of the roof at least

Defects usually occur if it has been laid in too long a length thus splitting through expenasion and contraction (or a nail has been put through it)

Yes sort of, code 5 refers to the wight of the lead being 5 pounds per square foot so is thicker of course that code 4 but thinner than code 6, metrc weights are as follows.

Code 3 = 15 kg per square metre
Code 4 = 20.41 kg per square metre
Code 5 = 25.40 kg per square metre
Code 6 = 30.1 kg per square metre

etc

Sponsored Links
ok, is there any way of maintaining the lead to ensure quality through-out the entire time it is used?
would it be quite simple to do it again or is that not possilbe one it has been layed?

The only really effectve way to repair a damaged lead valley is to replace the length that has been split which of course necessitates the removal and reinstatement of the adjacent tiling. It is possible however to apply a liquid coating to an area of damaged lead to avoid the disruption (and cost) of a `proper' repair but this would be a relatively short term solution (in comparison to a new length of lead)

ok, one final thing is there any protective coating that could be applied to it to prevent failure?

New lead regularly coated with patination oil, will have an extended life.

No it won't

Patination oil prevents any water run-off from the lead causing staining to slates etc. It does not give any protection to the lead.

Patination oil prevents any water run-off from the lead causing staining to slates

In a valley? I wonder why the british lead mills recommend it?

Have a read

educate yourself ;)

One coat of Patination Oil should be applied to all Leadwork. It helps prevent white carbonate staining that may occur on newly fitted lead running onto adjacent materials and provides a pleasing finish to any leadwork

Quote from BLM link:-

'One coat of Patination Oil should be applied to all Leadwork. It helps prevent white carbonate staining that may occur on newly fitted lead running onto adjacent materials and provides a pleasing finish to any leadwork.'

Isn't that what I said?

Nothing in there about the lead having an extended life if regularly coated

Quote from BLM link:-

'One coat of Patination Oil should be applied to all Leadwork. It helps prevent white carbonate staining that may occur on newly fitted lead running onto adjacent materials and provides a pleasing finish to any leadwork.'

Isn't that what I said?

Ermm, no.

Patination oil prevents any water run-off from the lead causing staining to slates etc.

Thats what you said :rolleyes: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back