Col water Storage Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Cold water Storage tank is overfowing. I've changed the Ball Cock..still the same. the vent off the Hot water cylinder is not pitching...

Help!!!

Sponsored Links
You have a hot water cylinder. Is the boiler supplied from a feed and expansion tank in the loft? Which is higher - the F&E or the CWC?

Have you got a mixer tap, such as a shower or sink mixer, where the cold is fed from the mains and the hot is at tank pressure? If so, does the mixer have service valves alllowing you to cut off the hot and cold supplies to the tap?

Is it a ceramic disk or joystick mixer?

why does it matter if the f&e cistern is higher than the cold water tank? i know the f & e is supposed to be lower but why? !!

C/H is a sealed system...top up valve in the hot press...
I do have a set of mixing taps downstairs in the kitched... I recently had my house renovated....the plumber put in two large coffin tanks...one ball cock

Sponsored Links
there are mixer valves which would alllow isolationof the hot and cold supplies to the tap

stop using any water, running taps, flushing toilets etc for half an hour

run up to the CWC and verify that it is full and overflowing.

then run down to he mixer taps and isolate them with your service valves.

read the paper for twenty minutes

then run back to the CWC and see if it is still overfowing or if it has stopped.

If it has stopped, your mixer tap has an interal leak allowing mains-pressure cold water to leak into the hot pipe, whence it ends up in the CWC.

Just thinking.....it only overflows every now and then...i obviously don't use the water during the night...so really it should overflow every morning...but it doen't...i

f it is an internal leak on the mixers do I have to replace the mixing set or just install a non return valve on the hot water feed??

safer to change the mixer.

non-return worth a try as cheaper.

If it has ceramic disks it might vary with position of the control, maybe there are worn parts

some taps have ceramic disks inside, not tap washers. the knob, handle or joystick will usually only move a quarter of a turn, not round and round.

the first link looks like a traditional action with knobs that screw in and out and have tapwashers

the second one looks like the operating levers only turn 45 degrees and probably have a ceramic cartidge.

though English kitchen mixers traditionally have a divided spout to prevent hot and cold supplies mixing inside the tap.

I don't undrstand why ceramic mixers seem prone to internal leaks

p.s. if you have a mixer shower, bidet etc, check them too.

Thanks for your help John, i'll try your suggestionon the sink mixing valves.....the shower mixing set would have to be mains fed... none of mine are so i think that rules the showers out....right??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back