colapsed/ cracked manhole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
I have a manhole in my garden with clay pipe bottom, looks like a clay pipe cut in half with one pipe coming in, one out and two side connections. I think that the main sewer runs through my manhole and runs along all the gardens on my street. I discovered today that the bottom clay part is completely broken in few places, some small pieces are missing showing manhole soil bedding. I don't want to replace it at the moment but I will in the future. Is there any special kind of concrete mortar or a resin to fill the cavities?

It already caused some problems few weeks ago and I had to call drain service to unblock it. There is a lot of tissues and paper coming from my neighbours side which is caught by rough cracks edges.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
If it is repairable then i'd use Granolithic mortar for strength. However, if this sewer is being used by neighbour(s) then it could well be the Water Authorities responsibility. Leave it to them to sort out, they'll do something if the state of the manhole leads to repeated blockages.

Hope there is no leakages or overflowing on to your side. If it does then things can messy. You could maybe point it out to neighbors to get it fixed if it is indeed their problem.

As Hugh said, it is almost certain the responsibity of the Water Authority. They were required to take over all private sewers by law recently. If you attempt to repair it yourself you could be into a big bill from the authority.

Sponsored Links
If you do anything yourself, my sure you bung the incoming pipes while you do it and ask your neighbours to not flush! Otherwise it could get very very messy! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back