Manhole connection for new drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am installing a new drain in my garage, I need to plumb it into the existing manhole.

I am wondering what is the correct way to plumb it into the manhole. I was thinking of creating a new clay channel on the opposite side to the existing two channels (please see pics) however i am unsure how to join a pvc pipe into half a clay pipe. Also the lenght of the clay channel will be very small and I am unsure if I can buy such a small channel.

My other idea is to cut into a pvc pipe and create the channel I need.

Any thoughts would be great

Sponsored Links
It may be easier to break into the drain outside the manhole, fit a junction and use a 'Bottle' type gulley, giving you rodding access from the gulley. Work is subject to Building regs, so I would consult with Building control beforehand, the Inspector will advise on the method they'd like to see used.

If you do need to connect at the manhole, then you can cut the end of the new plastic pipe to form a channel as required. Break through the wall and benching so the bottom of the new pipe sits on the top of the existing half channel, entering in direction of flow. Be careful, the clayware is very fragile. Make good benching with strong mortar mix, and seal the entry hole with concrete.

Sponsored Links
Hugh Jaleak

thanks for the reply, I was thinking that cutting into the clay pipe would be easier than cutting into the manhole. however I am unsure what junction to use.

They all seem to have double or triple sockets on. I was thinking this may get in the way of the clay to pvc adaptor.

Also can you use a 87.5 double socket adaptor and lay it on its side?

I was thinking of using these parts

http://www.wickes.co.uk/drain-junction-875-deg/invt/435194/

http://www.wickes.co.uk/clay-to-pvcu-drain-adaptor-black/invt/430042/

Thanks for your help

The adaptor is designed to fit plastic spigot to clay spigot, so you'll need to cut the clay pipes to suit with an angle grinder. Use the edge of the cutting disc to chamfer the ends of the clay pipe, you need to remove any sharp edges that could cause solids to catch and block the pipe. Caution is advised, the clayware is likely to be very brittle. :eek:

The junction shown is fine, cut some lengths of plastic pipe to fit into the socket either end to make up the necessary distance to join the clayware. Can be laid on its side, just make sure the branch is positioned to point slightly upward, you dont want a low spot where material can collect. :oops:

Some useful info here: http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain15.htm They have fitted a chamber into the existing run, but principles are the same for a junction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back