Various manhole issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My wife is selling her house. She had a builder replace a saniflo system with a gravity pipe which was connected to the public sewer. BUulding regs weren't signed off at the time and there are outstanding items which is holding up the sale. The following are the oustanding issues:

3.1 The existing channel must be checked to ensure that the run starts from this manhole otherwise the drop-pipe could disrupt the existing flow through the manhole.

3.2 The expanding foam used to infill the gaps around the 110mm diameter pipe in the wall of the existing manhole is not considered suitable material and must be replaced. NB. Any replacement infill material must be vermin-proof.

3.3 The 110mm diameter drop-pipe must be brought closer to the wall of the manhole and clipped to the wall using proprietary fixings.

3.4 The access point should be fitted with a proprietary access cap rather than a socket plug.

3.5 The outlet from the drop-pipe should be benched appropriately to assist discharge into the channel.

As you can see, it looks like the cowboy thought it would be covered and not seen - expanding foam!!!

Anyway can anyone advise on what needs doing - I am a complete novice on drainage so excuse the ignorance. I get 3.2 & 3.5, but the others I am unsure.

Many thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
Get a builder to price the work and take it off the sale price.. why do it if shes selling the place anyway.?

3.1 Is the drop pipe the only connection into the manhole or are there other connections? It sounds like the bottom of the drop pipe is encroaching into the channel in the bottom of the chamber. If flow from other inlets has to pass by the end of the drop pipe then possible rag and/or other waste could catch on it, build up and cause a blockage.

3.2 Concrete or strong mortar is needed, NOT expanding foam!

3.3 Drop pipe needs moving back closer to the chamber wall and fixing using appropriate 110mm pipe clips.

3.4 Need a screwed access cap fitting instead of a plug. Plugs are for sealing unused inlets on plastic chambers.

3.5. Outlet from drop pipe needs to be pointing into direction of flow, and benching made good to assist with providing a smooth flow into the channel.

I would also suggest you involve a Builder (or Groundworker) to remedy the situation. Seems to be a fair bit that needs changing, so really not a job for an amateur.

Sponsored Links
You don't do this kind of work when selling a house, generally. A house is sold as seen. If the buyer doesn't like something about the house, they can ask for the price to be lowered. That's it.

Never start making costly alterations to a house for the sake of a buyer who might not actually buy the thing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back