Cold extension... insulation ideas: panel ceiling/tile floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our 2 storey extension (kitchen and bathroom) is a lot colder than the rest of the house. I've insulated the loft - with about 300mm of standard insulation, but it's still pretty cold.

Both the ceilings of kitchen and loft are formed from slatted wooden
panelling - both floors are tiled.

Not sure there's enough to prevent cold from passing from loft to bathroom and then bathroom to kitchen...

What would anyone suggest to cosy up the house before winter really sets in?

Sponsored Links
There is but I can't remember it. If no answers, try plumbers forum or do a search on "radiator sizing" or similar.

Sponsored Links
Is there a rough guide on 'required radiator size' v 'room volume'?
JP

I have an excel spreadsheet I made for calculating the temperature of a room with time, with lots of input variables (building air changes per hour, rooms size, wall U value, window size, window U value, ceiling u value etc) its pretty basic, doesnt take account of thermal mixing (I am an aerospace engineer by trade, bit of a perfectionist!)

If you want it, let me know and I will email it you. It allows you to set the values for a room or for the building and also the effect of increasing the heat input to a room.

Otherwise, just use this:

http://www.homesupply.co.uk/radiator_output_calculator.php

Well according to the website the radiator is adequate...

However there are not really enough variables on there to properly specify the room type. We have an open air vent in one wall which can't help thints, I've recently bought a moisture controlled extractor fan to replace it (as we have quite a bit of condensation in the bathroom (travelling up from Kitchen) which may make a difference (i.e. one way traffic of air out, and no cold in!).

Yesterady sealed / filled lots of holes under skirtings and cupboards and that seems to have improved things a degree or two, I think the combined effect of several tiny little draughts (especially onto tiled floors) really can cool a room down quickly.

Thanks
JP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back