Insulation - Cost vs. Benefit - Walls or flat roof

Sponsored Links
Do you remember the make of the EWI you had installed on your house please? Both our quotes are for InstaClad, and my step dad is now terrifying us by saying that we could have problems with it not being adhered to the existing render properly and then later falling off, or the render not being able to take the weight of the products applied.

I would hope that if it is installed by a TrustMark registered installer then they would do a good job, my greater concern is that it is combustible.

The actual EWI boards were Kay-Cel 90mm Graphite EPS, and the base-coats / top coat are Parex render.

I'm not sure what your step father means, EWI is always mechanically fixed to the house, so far deeper than the old render! Our installer used adhesive to help get all the panels level and flat, then 5 mechanical fixings per board.

Fire escape wise, the issue with Grenfell seemed to be the way it was built into panels that could fan the flames (I think). On a 1 or 2 storey property, you have plenty of escape routes anyway, so it wouldn't concern me at all.

Surely if the extension was added in 1996 there must be some insulation in the flat roof? Can council not provide ANY documentation at all?
We have a 60's house that was built with a utility room at the back of the garage and door from kitchen leading into it.WC room in there too. Single brick construction.No source of heat. Freezing!
It had 70's mock wood cladding on the walls and T/G on the ceiling.Pulled all that off and there was about 50mm of some sort of soft plaster underneath.

People were quoting 6.5k to internally insulate the roof and walls, redo plumbing for loo,hand basin, pipes and fit rad' (boiler is in the garage) fit 3 base units, sink ,tap and worktop. Plastering. No idea what spec and no mention of buidling reg's approval, which is required.
Decided to DIO with reg's.
Walls -50mm PIR (between 75 x 50 battens with 25mm air gap as bricks only 110mm), 37.5mm insulated plasterboard over ( ideally would have been 67.5 ins'pb but we didn't have room behind doors/door reveals etc and the room is only about 2.4 mm x 3, so BR were happy with the 37.5, especially as we'd just had a new A* combi boiler fitted, several new windows and cavity wall to main house.
Ceiling 50mm between the roof joists and 67.5 insulated pb over
We haven't got any heat in there yet, but it's already considerably warmer, in fact probably warmer than the rest of the house without any heating on! New door into garage has helped too. If we put a little electric heater on on the frost setting it warms up really quickly and stays warm once the heater is turned off.
We're now thinking about either some IWI to the end wall of the house (hall /understairs/stairs part of landing) or as pointing on end of the house is poor, some EWI and cladding or render.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back