Cold garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved in to a 1950 build house and was hoping someone could give some advice. I’m a long time reader of the forum but this is my first post!

I’ve started working on a room in the house which I believe used to be the garage - which has been converted into a room attached to the house at some point. The walls of the house and garage seem to be cavity but have never been insulated.
There is a concrete floor. (I don’t think it’s insulated - not sure about dpm - but unlikely - suspect it’s an original concrete slab with a poorly done added screed to level when the garage got converted)
The walls are sand/cement rendered and skim on top. There are 2 walls in the room which are external.
There doesn’t seem to be any damp issues as far as I can tell.
The room has a concrete flat roof but at a recent point in time a mono pitch roof has been added on top which is ventilated. This loft space has the boiler and ch cylinder in it. This also seems dry and no damp or condensation issues.

The issue with the garage conversion room is that it’s much colder than the rest of the house. I’m assuming because of the concrete flat roof which is unlikely to be insulated.
So, what might be the simplest way to adding some insulation here?
I’m keen to avoid cavity insulation as this is the only problem room.
Should I dry line with insulated plasterboard? Or should I insulate between the rafters in the loft - or maybe both?!

any advice or help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Type 22 600x1400 under the window which is about 8500btu I think. The rough requirement is 9500 from what I can get on an online calculator. there is an adjoining smaller part of the room which also has a rad in it so it’s probably about right between the two

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back