NOT on benefits and cant seem to get cavity wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

hi all,

i must be doing something wrong.

I work full time as does my partner. Were trying to find a company to install cavity wall insulation as the room above the garage is colder than the garage. i've put loft insulation in and insulation in the garage roof as well as boards, without any increase in heat to the room. The room has 3 external walls so im thinking cavity insulation.

Ive rang a few energy companies and input my details into insulation websites but it seems unless your on benefits so qualify for a grant there not interested despite me telling them i want to pay.

What can i do? apart from pack in work.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Telephone them and ask why they are not responding.

A lot of these firms that do grant work automatically filter incomplete forms or forms that are not by benefit claimants. Its down to the computer programme not the company. By doing it this way it avoids them having to employ staff to check every form and then trying to give advice they are not licensed to give.

Does the rest of your house have cavity wall insulation?

Seems odd that this one room should be unusually cold if the walls are the same as they are everywhere else.

Perhaps you just need a bigger radiator? Or to eliminate an air leak somewhere?

In same position (ish). Asked about insulation for a house I rent out, the surveyor came out and checked, then I heard nothing. Phoned them and they told me it didn't qualify under any of the schemes but they'd recheck periodically.
I asked for a price if I pay myself (if it's not too much I'd just have it done) - said they'd get back to me. Called again - have to did out the paperwork and get back to you. Needless to say, they haven't :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Me and my partner both work and got our house done through the local council, maybe worth contacting your council see if they are running any initiatives

Just to update ,

Looks like we`ve had cavity wall insulation in the form of beads injected into the cavity. Unfortunately the surveyor thinks than when the windows were last replaced it "unsettled" the beads and we`ve lost some.

aparently these cant be topped up. From my own research the beads should of been mixed with some kind of glue to stop this.

Basically the 1st insulation was poor and i`ve lost that many beads its no longer efficent.

Any ideas? Apart from put the hoover nozzle in the wall and clear the rest.

I wonder if a thermographic survey (thermal camera) might reveal where the voids are, and then you could have those voids refilled ?

they have annual amounts they need to do and they get fined if they under perform

if towards the end off the accounting year they are under they ease the requirement to fulfill quotas thats why sometimes you see cheap insulation or light bulbs to fulfill the quotas although that may now be different as the government have reduced the amount on our bills that has to be spent on green initiatives to give us our own money back on average £50

I had the same problem with not having anyone in the household on benefits until a colleague recommended something:

http://www.homeinsulationgrants.info/

I was a bit dubious about it at first due to the generic website address but I registered my details and I was then contacted by Mark Group who installed cavity wall and loft insulation for free saving me more than £800. I removed the existing old dirty and patchy loft insulation before they visited so got all new double thickness insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back