Cold external solid wall question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a 1920 built end terrance house. The external end wall - which covers the hallway - is very cold (but not damp) so I am thinking about taking the plaster off to the brick and using Gyproc thermaline 27mm plasterboard which, from what I can tell, you simply glue to the brickwork.

Problem: I am on a tight budget in doing this place up and my major DIY weakness is plastering. But when using plasterboad do you really need to plaster?

I noticed in a builders supply store a product made by Gyproc - a sealant - which implies it can be applied to act as a base for painting or wallpapering direct to the plasterboard.

I was thinking of maybe using that followed by thick lining paper, then wall paper..... or am I wishful thinking? or heading for major regrets later?

As a final thought, in using 27mm thick insulated board, what would I do regarding putting up a shelf?

Sponsored Links
You don't need to plaster but it gives a better finish. You can simply dry line which involves using tappered edge plaster board and skiming/sanding the joints. This is largely what they do in America I learnt recently. Then prime and paint directly on the plasterboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back