cold feed to tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, newby here! The other half accidently switched on the immersion heater for approx 8 hours the other week. Since then all hot water from the tank is of a poor flowrate! I've done the backflush thing from the washing machine pipes and this hasn't alleviated the problem so now i think its the cold feed from the header tank in the loft going into the hot water tank in the bathroom could be partially choked i.e restricting head pressure?(after 8 hours of boiling who knows what crud its lifted off inside!!!!) So now to the system, its a open/vented conventional boiler system in a soft water area and was fine until the unnatural blonde did her magic!!! The cold feed can be isolated via a gate valve in the cupboard and there is a drain point at the bottom, so i'm assuming i can attach a garden-type hose onto this from the cold water(loads of pressure) and blast the crud away!!!! Yes? No? Any advice is greatly received. Merci beaucoup!![/b]

Sponsored Links
Unless the tank has an awful lot of scale inside, which can happen, the crud is more likely to be blocking the hot outlet than the cold inlet.

Curing this involves much less draining - first shut off the cold feed, then just open a few hot taps to drain the vent.

Depending on the type of top cylinder connection you may be able to remove the pipework and poke a screwdriver into the hole to clear it.

Otherwise you'll need to remove the top cylinder connection, but bear in mind that you'll be risking the cylinder - the older it is the more delicate it will be.

System is only six years old. I thought that by backflushing from cold to hot at washing machine points for 10-15 seconds would have remedied this(it was *******ing through) if it was hot outlet choke into manifold?? And i'm assuming with the hot outlet being at the top and cold inlet being at the bottom, gravity would have left crud/stuff at the bottom, thus restricting water from loft header tank down to cylinder. But i don't know that swhy i'm asking. Cheers

Sponsored Links
bigstu said:
System is only six years old. I thought that by backflushing from cold to hot at washing machine points for 10-15 seconds would have remedied this
Well it would remedy something, but whether that something is the problem that you've got we don't know yet. The path to success is to eliminate potential problems one at a time.

bigstu said:
(it was **** through)
I have no idea what you're trying to convey with this.

bigstu said:
if it was hot outlet choke into manifold??
Or this - do you have a manifold on the DHW?

bigstu said:
And i'm assuming with the hot outlet being at the top and cold inlet being at the bottom, gravity would have left crud/stuff at the bottom, thus restricting water from loft header tank down to cylinder. But i don't know that swhy i'm asking. Cheers
I'm not saying that gravity hasn't done that, but I'm giving you my opinion, based on experience, that it is more likely to be at the top. I might be wrong in your case, but you won't know until you try it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back