Cold flat roof

I've challenged my structural engineer and builder about using a warm roof.

My builder - says there is no problem, other than it will cost more.

My SE - has suggested designing the roof using 150mm timbers and 150mm UBs to hold a lantern instead of using 200mm timbers (2x8"). By reducing the joists by 50mm, we can use 50-100mm on top of the roof and if necessary even use some insulation in the joists to do a hybrid setup.

Now for the lantern, my builder typically builds a simple timber upstand for similar roofs. Also looking at the manufacturer installation instructions, it suggests the same thing for an upstand/kerb.

Now my question is; do we not need to insulate the upstand? Looking at other posts on this forum, it seems the preferred approach is to build a stud wall upstand, and fill the void with insulation. Possibly put a thinner - 25mm insulation on the outside layer then plasterboard the inside with a VCL between the stud wall and plasterboard. I personally think we should insulate the upstand? Id rather not get into a situation where once the builder has created the upstand, I would need to put a 100mm board on the inside, which will eat up the space.

Sponsored Links
So, from my alcohol induced understanding, PD says eaves can be 3m, ridge height 4m. I have a bastardised pitched/flat roof..... the eaves are 3m, the top of the warm deck is well over.

To conclude on this thread. The design we ended up with is a warm flat roof.

Based on the building regs technical guidance documentation on eaves height (https://assets.publishing.service.g...der_Technical_Guidance__-April_2017_FINAL.pdf)

- Eaves height is measured from the ground level at the base of the outside wall to the point where that wall would meet the upper surface of the flat roof - the overhang and the parapet wall should be ignored for the purposes of measurement. So from a planning perspective I am well within permitted development.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back