Flat cold roof to flat warm roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Part of my 1800s house a flat roof. Whilst the loft is insulated, the flat roof isn't, and the bedroom quickly gets cold.

The roof itself is in good condition. I've only had one quote so far and I want to check what the builder said was correct. Essentially to leave the roof as is, build a new structure on top, insulate new structure with Kingspan and fibreglass on top. There was something that went between the insulation and fibreglass but can't recall what.

Is that correct? With having such an old house I'm always conscious of the fact that it needs to breathe to prevent condensation.

Sponsored Links
If you want to insulate the roof, what your builder has suggested (ie a warm roof) is the better way.
With the insulation on top, the roof structure stays warm and condensation will not form in the voids between the joists.
The thing between the insulation and roof finish is probably thin plywood or OSB. The only disadvantage of a warm roof is that the extra thickness necessitates a deeper fascia.

Sponsored Links
That's good news for me too !
I am buying a house with an extension that gets cold so want to increase the roof insulation with minimal upheaval so will just add a second roof above the existing - Wonderful !

I'm thinking of 100mm but is that overkill?

As advised, that may be a bit 'underkill'. Depending on the actual structure of the roof,to comply with modern regs for flat-roof insulation, I think you are looking at around 125mm Kingspan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back