Cold Hallway and Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I’m after some advice. I live in a 15 year old 3 story end of terrace townhouse (which I have lived for the last 7 years) where the hallway and kitchen on the ground floor have always been freezing in the winter. Temperature in hall rarely gets above 15 or 16 even with radiators blasting out heat, makes spending any length of time downstairs in the winter miserable.

I’ve looked at all the easy wins of cutting out drafts, sealing windows, doors etc but no luck

A few other bits of info. The groundfloor is tiled throughout which is always freezing, wouldn’t be my choice and both spaces are adjacent to an integral garage which is next to my neighbours garage. The wall between the house and the garage appears to be cavity with I assume 50 mm of polystyrene between the plasterboard and blocks of the garage.

I was thinking whether I’m losing heat through to the garage but with insulated cavity I’m now not so sure. Not sure how effective 50mm poly is however after 15 years

Temperature gun thing indicates that this evening lower part of wall towards front door in hallway is 7 Celsius and 10 closer to middle of house which doesn’t sound great, temp outside is

At my wits end trying to warm this space

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If practical, lining the wall between house and garage on the garage side would be a good start (and is DIYable) - 50mm upwards of PIR with plasterboard on top for fire protection. Unless you've checked, the cavity could be empty but 50mm of polystyrene isn't great by modern standards.

Many thanks for the advice. It is practical to insulate the garage and have done some research already. Is 50mm sufficient or should would 75mm or 100mm be much better? Should I attach with adhesive foam? Not much I can do about the front wall and outside wall unless I buy a big thermal curtain to draw across the door and small wall in winter.

Sponsored Links
Are the radiators adequately sized?
It’s a good question, could possibly benefit with something a bit larger but haven’t calculated what size radiator for each space.

The heat drop when the heating goes off is very poor however, managed to heat the hall to 17 this morning but dropped to 14 within an hour or so

ok so kitchen space should be 7000 to 7500 btu because of the French doors and hallway should be 2500, radiators I have seen to match those requirements but they have a lot of difficult heating the space as mentioned. Lucky for the hallway to increase by maybe 2 degrees in a few hours

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back