Cold Hallway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The radiator in our hallway is not working.
One pipe attached to the valve is hot & the one on the otherside is cold.
I have taken the rad off, flushed it and checked that the valves are both working.
I have bled it until hot water flows out the bleed valve, but it cools down once I close the bleed valve and it has not solved the problem.
Any ideas? :(

Sponsored Links
No there is not a thermostat valve on this rad.

I opened one valve and heard the water rush in when I bled it then shut it off and opened the other side and heard the water rush in again when it was bled so I know they are both working.

Sponsored Links
you heard water running?

can you connect a hose to the rad valves so you can see if the water is running?

this will rule out a blockage

but it may have only been filling from one side

you need both sides for circulation

alternatively try turning off all the other rads on your system and see if that can get this one going, you may just have an airlock

If you close the valves on all the other rads in the house, so that the flow is forced towards the hall rad, what happens? (edited to say, didn't type fast enough)

What speed is your circulating pump set to, and how many radiators do you have? What size is the pipework to the rads?

Is this a new problem, or has it always been like that?

I opened one side and shut the other and got a good jet of water from the bleed valve and visa versa.

I moved into the house 2 months ago and it was not workin since I have lived hear.
Thr pump is set at No 2 speed and still does not heat up even on No 3.
It has poxy Microbore pipe.

I will try and shut all the valves exept the hallway rad and see what happens.
Do I have to shut both sides or just the inlet valves?

I will do that tomorrow when I get back home.

What does it mean if it gets hot or not ?
And what shoud I do? :confused:

OK
I have turned all the Rads off exept the one that is not working.
It has been pumping around the sytem now for about 20min and its still stone cold.
The pipe on one side is warm and the other side cold.

What does that mean???? :cry:

Not flowing round properly. Might be a blockage that is impeding it. Probably the excess pressure building up is escaping through a bypass (which may be under the floor somewhere, if it is not visible in your airing cupboard and the bathroom radiator is turned off and not hot). I find microbore difficult but someone will be along in a minute.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back