cold kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is a 1930's semi with the kitchen at the back of the house with three external walls, during the winter it gets really cold, probably a mixture of no insulation and suspended timber floor. I m wanting to make it warmer but without spending a fortune (I have already spent that of getting rid of my ex husband).

What is the best way to insulate the floor, can I have the roll up stuff under the chipboards or will that cause problems for air flow or is there something I can put over the boards?

Also could I stuff some insulation under my kitchen cupboards and at the back of them or is that a no no re ventilation?

Help

Sponsored Links
If you can lift the chipboard flooring (to expose the joists) then as long as there's a decent gap between the joists and the subfloor then you've got some choices. You can use the roll stuff but you need to stop it dropping out of the gap- it is a pain to staple under the joists but garden netting works well. You could use PIR insulation boards cut to size- fiddly messy job, the boards have to be a snug fit between the joists, but no need for the garden netting. With either option, be wary of cables and pipework under there (covering cables in insulation is not a good idea anywhere and especially not in a kitchen where they're probably loaded near the limit anyway). Pipework- don't put too much force any it, something might break.

While you've got the boards up (and before you put the insulation in), have a look at the subfloor- if it is bare earth (quite likely) then (as long as you leave 150mm clear space between underside of joists and subfloor and don't block any airbricks) it'll be worth putting a sheet of DPM (heavy gauge polythene) down on the bare earth and cover it with some gravel (to stop it moving about- no need to go mad)- that'll reduce the moisture content of the air under the floor which (a) is a good thing anyway and (b) cold dry air takes much less energy to heat than cold damp air so any draughts getting in to the room will be less intrusive and won't be adding to potential condensation problems.

Insulate behind and under the cupboards- if you get the underfloor insulation all the way to the walls then you won't see much benefit from insulating under the cupboards. Might be best to keep the airflow behind them- you might end up with damp sweaty walls again.

Insulate on top of the chipboard- not sure about that one, you might get damp in it and damp chipboard falls to bits very quickly so I'll pass on that one. Others may know better.

You'll be losing a fair bit of heat through the walls- have you thought about external wall insulation? Yes it is pricey but there are still grants available, technically it is a better solution and in your case to insulate internally would involve taking the kitchen out and putting it back in again which will be a pain and will cost a bob or 2.

Thanks for your help, I think I will see if I can get the chip board floor up and then get the DPM down there, sounds like a fun job!!

Adele

what is over the kitchen? if its a roof then this is the first place to insulate. Because hot air rises, if there are no drafts blowing the hot air out, the floor is the last thing you insulate. It is a must to draft proof it. Just cover the boarding with Bacofoil, fixed with wall paper paste. The shiny surface reflects the heat back upwards , so actually adds insulation, and it draft proofs.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Well it is a singly storey kitchen, pitched roof but I don't know what if anything is in there, or how I would find out as there is no hatch to look in there, any suggestions?

Ah, now we are getting closer. Do you think that the roof and kitchen ceiling are original? chat up the neighbours they might know. Also find out how they gain access to this loft. I have seen builders plasterboard over hatches and not put in any insulation.
Frank

I dont think the roof is origional as a neighbour a few doors down has slate tiles and mine look newer. Wouldnt be suprised if a hatch has been boarded over as the man who lived here before me had dome strange ways of doing things. Ill speak to a few neighbours. By the time i get sorted it'll be summer and warming up.

Putting bacofoil between the chipboard and the floor covering (lino??) will not reduce heat flow downwards, you are far better using it for your Sunday roast. If you do insulate under the suspended floor be careful about any pipes under there and make sure you don't insulate them from the warmth of the kitchen as that is probably all that stops them freezing during a hard winter. However, as suggested, you are better off spending money insulating other cold surfaces first.

Also, if you've got a light fitting in your ceiling you can use any hole to gain access to the roof space with one of those cheap USB snake camera things and have a quick look for insulation. Or, and this is destructive, drill a small hole and use that to look. Fill it in with polyfilla and touch up.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back