Cold Living Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My living room has always been the coldest room in the house but this week has been terrible.

The house is a newish house built by Crosby homes around 18 years ago and will have cavity wall and some insulation altho not to todays std.

The room measures approx 22' x 14' and has one large double fin radiator 5.5' x 2'. We do have our setee up against the rad.

There is a large bay window single glazed to one end of the room and a double glazed patio door to the other.

We have an open gas fire with traditional chimney.

Firstly I can feel a draught coming down the chimney - what can I do about this?

Where should I start with trying to improve the situation?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Cold house! all I have is one small fire to heat the whole place. I have to go outside to warm up. :)

If you're not using the fireplace, get yourself a chimney balloon - we have one in our bathroom, and the difference it makes is great. If you don't want to spend money on a chimney balloon, you can always stuff the flue with newspaper and rags - just make sure you remember they're up there should you ever think of lighting a fire :)

get the bay window double glazed for a start... fitted with "k-glass" as well ( the stuff that reflects heat back into the room.. )
a pair of heavy and lined curtains for the patio doors..
and move the sofa.. it's called a radiator for a reason.. a lot of the heat is being radiated into the back of the sofa...

Sponsored Links
Cheers for replies.

I have heard something about chimney balloons but sure as eggs are eggs someone would light the fire with it up there!

Yes I was sure the setee wasnt helping. Bit difficult to rearrange due to room layout. I have pulled the settee away to leave about a foot gap.

For sure we need to replace the windows at some point - cant afford to do the whole house so maybe just do the living room but then I could have to match them when we can afford the rest.

How efficient is secondary glazing?

We have pretty havy curtains but doesnt help during the day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back