Periodic cold/draughts in a room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My home office is in a Victorian solid-brick house. I have installed secondary glazing, put a ballon think in the chimney flue, and have smart heating with a per-room thermostat which claims the temperature is constant.

Yet at certain times of day I'll suddenly feel it start to get chilly, and I think it must be a gentle draught because e.g. one leg gets colder than the other, though I can't feel an actual movement of air. I used to be able to feel a down-draught from the windows and chimney but that is no longer the case.

I'm trying to figure out where it is coming from, and why, but I can't think how to do so. Anyone know any tricks how to actually detect a draught?

Is it possible it's simply the solid walls... e.g. as the outside temperature drops the walls themselves are causing a convection current of cooler air?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back