Insulation in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a first floor bedroom at the end of the original rear extension which is very cold in winter. The room is 12'10' appprox with a large triple sided bay window. which is 2/3 of the wall to ceiling height The house is Victorian and it is a traditional sash window but is new, single glazed and has been draughtproofed The box is not big enough for a double glazed unit. I also have put reflector foil behind the radiator, which is not positioned under the window. Despite these measures there has been no real improvement in the temperature of the room in Winter.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what else I can do to improve the thermal insulation in Winter without changing the window and which will not make the room too hot in Summer ?!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I checked and it is actually a double radiator with a single convector fin 1100 x 600 but it is a good idea to increase the size of the radiator-- maybe I can get one with a double fin or higher output----and thanks for the tip re curtains.

Just tried a rad calculator and I think the rad needs to be at least 600mm X 1600mm for that room conditions.I assume you have high ceilings?

Sponsored Links
Hello
Thanks for your reply. The ceilings in that room are amongst the lowest in the house---- 2.5 metres approx. The triple window is 180cms long and 60, 125 and 60 cms ie approx 150 cms wide in total.

The rad size you suggested would not fit in the current space as I could not fit a desk in, although I can see that you are right and that the rad needs to be bigger. I suppose I could move the radiator from it's current position near the door as you enter the room , (which is otherwise dead space )and put 3 radiators under the bay window but am reluctant to do so as it takes space out of a difficult room. due to a chimney breast also taking space.

Thanks for your help

Oh yes, I forget that I can use a vertical rad in a bedroom--- thank you that's a great suggestion ! What BTU output should I be looking for?

Thanks for your help

Between 9000- 10000btu assuming you like it warm. If not you should be ok with 8-9k.

The first question I have, is have you got adequate loft insulation Mary? If not, it is a cheap solution to your problem if you improve the insulation to between 300mm and 400mm thick.

Thanks for the info on the BTU output Foxhole- that is very helpful.

LouprEvil-- Good question- I will see what insulation is in that section of the roof as it's a leaded section/partly flat section at the rear of the property and the builder may not have put insulation there last time it was renewed or it may not be as good as the rest of the roof -- thank you.

Mary128

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back