cold radiator down stairs and one that loses heat above it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler died so i replaced it myself with a wall mounted number (oil fired). Since then (october 2007) I've a downstairs radiator in the hall that does not get hot. I've bled the rad and no air. If I turn off all other rads it still remains cold. They all are fitted with TRVs
The radiator in the spare room above it over the course of a week or so fills with air and obviously goes cold. I bleed this one and much air escapes and eventually it heats up. THe hot water tank also has a TRV fitted as there is no option to hot water only so during warmer months i just use an immersion heater on a timer.

So has anyone a series of things I can do please to work out the problem. I've lived in the house about ten years and the heating wasn't newl when i moved in.

Thanks,

Tin B

Sponsored Links
Free up the TRV on the Cold Rad (it'l be jammed!)
Add Fernox to the system to reduce the incidence of Hydrogen gas build up in upstairs rad

P.S. When your Boiler was installed, the Controls should have been updated to comply with Part L1 Building Regulations, the Installation should have been notified to LABC, and commissioned by an OFTEC registered Engineer :confused:

the boiler was commissioned by OFTEC man so all is good re the boiler.

Re the controls should have been updated - which controls do you mean? the boiler controls (i.e. the timer switch)? I removed the frost guard that was on the wall in favour of one on the boiler itself, otherwise the controller is the same.

I had a hunch the TRV may be stuck, so gave it a tug up with pliers. It seems to move freely enough. Also, if i bleed the rad with the valve closed water flows slowly. If I open it the water flows faster (which says to me the valve is working - or at least opening. I'll swap it out for a new one this eve in case - they're not exactly overly pricey. screw fix here i come. will report back later.

thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back