One Cold Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have hot water heat; 9 radiators in a one story house. The house is 70 years plus, we've lived there for 26. 8 radiators are working fine, very hot. 1 is cold. It doesn't have a TRV, just a normal valve. There wasn't any air trapped, you get a steady stream of water when I bled it. There is another rad in the room, that had air in it but now it's working fine.

Spoke with my heating man, he thinks its a blockage of some kind, not attributed to anything mechanical since I'm getting heat in all my other rads. He thought that there might not be enough pressure to get heat to that radiator, but the pressure on the boiler is in a normal range.

I thought if I let water keep flowing from the bleed valve, maybe it would clear any blockage. I felt a small amount of heat by the main valve but stopped there. Could that valve be the problem? Does the rad need to be removed and flushed out?

Thankfully, we have heat, especially during this cold snap in NY. Just need to have a little guidance, step by step. Thanks, Joe

Sponsored Links
Make sure the valve is open.

Turn off the working rads to try and force a blockage through.
Failing that you could remove the rad and open each valve into a bucket that will tell you if there is a blockage.

Make sure the valve is open.

Turn off the working rads to try and force a blockage through.
Failing that you could remove the rad and open each valve into a bucket that will tell you if there is a blockage.

Follow Up.

should the boiler be off when I shut down the other rads?

Sponsored Links
No, you need to leave it on.

Thanks again. I will try shutting off the other radiators and see if the blockage can be forced out.

I was confused earlier, saw a few post which ask to turn off system. That was probably due to bleeding the complete system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back