Cold Radiator Furthest Away From Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have had a problem double radiator ever since we moved in the house. The inlet pipe is always hot (too hot to touch for long) and the outlet pipe is always cold. The top of the radiator is slightly warm, the bottom generally stone cold. It is probably the furthest away radiator from the pump. The house had two small radiators added a few years after construction (built in 1994). It’s a standard boiler (not combi).

The troubleshooting steps I have taken:
1. Bled the radiator – no air in it.
2. Turned both valves off, removed radiator, hosed any debris out. No better.
3. Switched off all the other radiators in the house. The radiator gets very warm and works normally.
4. Gradually switched back on the other radiators – as each one gets switched on the colder the problem one gets.

The questions I have is:
1. I have assumed its not an air lock, because when other radiators are off its ok. Is this correct ?
2. If the other radiators are correctly balanced, would it be the pump that needs to be upgraded or the boiler ?
3. Anyone recommend any crude (aka cheap) ways of measuring the temperature of the inlet and outlet pipes to establish if they are at the correct temperature ?

Thanks in advance for your help..

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

I've read that page, but wanted to know if you have any crude ways of measuring the temperature. If its not possible to do it cheaply, any links to the appropriate temperature measuring equipment would be appreciated..

Thanks.

Very crude, I use a lazer thermometer.

Also contact thermometers will work, or probe.

Sponsored Links
if your hands are like mine, the flow pipe should be "too hot to hold" and the return pipe should be "too hot to hold for long"

If not, you will have to buy a pair of Pipe Thermometers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back