Cold radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently replaced a single radiator for a double. It is the furthest on the system from the boiler, on the ground fllor. The inlet pipe gets piping hot, the return pipe is stone cold. The radiator only gets slightly warm at the top. I have bled the radiator - the valves are open and new (they are not thermostatic). Any suggestions?

The single radiator seemed to have the same problem. All other radiators on the system get hot. My thoughts are that the pressure of the hot water is insufficient to push much of the cold out - as the return pipe seems to go upstairs.

Sponsored Links
you need to balance your system with the lockshield valves. The rads near the boiler only need to have the return valves open half a turn. Try closing your first 2 rads off completely just to make sure your new rad is working, on that one open the flow valve full and return valve about one full turn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back