Cold Radiator - help with TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I know there are so many "cold radiator" posts, but I am stuck before I get started.

I've got one cold radiator in the house, which is upstairs. A friend bled the radiators and said they seem to be ok but will probably need to be done again - I don't understand why, but even after this, the one radiator is still cold.

So...do I bleed all the radiators again or go for the stuck trv?

If it is a stuck trv, I've read alot of posts which say to tap by where the pins are - my problem is....how do i even get to this bit - the white plastic things dont come off...yes this is about my knowledge - I'm prepared to try anything, but dont want to break it :(

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I haven't got a clue - there doesn't seem to be anything written on it. Its white with a red dot on it and the numbers are IIII, III, II, I rather than 4, 3 etc. There is a little black/grey peg that is just to the right of the pointer which i move up and down bout half a cm, but not sure what this does. Otherwise there doesn't seem to be anyway of removing this. Sorry

I should have looked at the others in teh house first :s one has a name on the top which is comap (written in blue) and they are all the same.

Sponsored Links
OK there is a big knurled nut under the black plastic.
This unscrews to remove the head unit anticlockwise looking from above.
You will then see the pin sticking up from the valve body.

Press down on the pin with a spoon it should go down then spring up when released, it will only have a very short travel.
If it does not spring up its stuck.

Ok, I took the one apart in teh kitchen as well so i can compare. Kitchen moves, the one in the bedroom definitely doesn't! This is such a tiny pin - do I need to tap the actual pin with a hammer or the nut that is around it?

Thought it couldn't hurt to tap all of it - hey presto the pin popped up. Thank you so so much for your help with this! It is so much appreciated. Thx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back