Cold radiator - tapped TRV, but still cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read the FAQ, removed the plastic head, tapped the pin with a small hammer, but it's still not working.

The pin is approx 5mm out, and I can push it in a few mm (using a coin to save my thunmb) and it returns back to 5mm out. I've added some WD40 as I'm not sure how far the pin should come out, and daren't pull it.

History:
This radiator has been turned off for 9 months.
All other radiators are fine
Both end's pipes feel cold at the bottom.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
make sure the other end is open first.
shut the other rads and leave that one open should push the flow round.

When I turned this rad off in the spring, I only did it via the TRV thingy, so I'm assuming 'the other end' is already open.

I'll try turning off some of the other radiators to see if that pushes the flow round.

I'll report back in 20-30 mins. Thanks

No change :cry:

All other rads are off using their TRV adjustment.
I used an adjustable spanner to check the 'lockshield valve' at the other end (learning is fun) which was already fully anti-clockwise. I turned it a few times clockwise, then all the way back anti-clockwise until it stopped.

Still no warmth in this radiator.

Should I tap the housing around the valve with a hammer instead of the pin itself?

Sponsored Links
Keep tapping. A little harder perhaps but don't get carried away. It is only made of brass and probably cheap Italian brass at that.
Ultimately you may have to remove the valve either to free it or replace it.
A bit of heat may be useful maybe a hair dryer or heat gun. Just make sure you dont damage any plastic or rubber bits if you decide to use a heat gun [paint stripper]

I've banged the housing (that the pin sticks out of) a few more times, but no change.
I took out the bleeding bolt at the top of the radiator, and after a few seconds of hissing, got nothing at all. No water.

I've had a hairdryer on the vlave bit for about 40 mins now, but tbh it's not getting too warm.

Is there a how-to somewhere about dis-assembling the valve to clean/free it?

sounds like time to remove the rad and check both valves and the pipes for flow.

Sounds like it's time to get a man in then. It's a closed CH system, and I've never removed a rad before, let alone the valves themselves.
Thanks for help though. It was much appreciated. At least I know I've checked the obvious things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back