Cold radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here goes, I know I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this question.

Our CH boiler is approx 15 years old, although we have several radiators which are older. The house has a total of 6 radiators on a Potterton boiler and is the system is vented. To get heat in the house I have to turn the thermostat to maximum and also the boiler to maximum! However, whilst 5 radiators are hot the 6 is almost cold. There does seem to be hot water getting to the radiator as one of the feed pipes is hot; the other is cold! The radiator which is cold is downstairs but not the last radiator on the system (as far as I know). The valves are non-TRV.

I have replaced the pump, cleaned out the feeder tank (adding x800) which was heavy with mould and taken the suspect radiator off the wall and flushed it with a hose - nothing seems to make a difference.

I have read conflicting views about powerflushing. I intend on replacing the radiator which is cold but don't think this will improve the performance of the entire system. I can do without wasting money at the moment but will do whatever it takes as we're freezing. Can anybody advise me please?

Also, how much should I look to pay for powerflushing in Kent. I thought about doing it myself but it looks quite demanding.

Update, I have just checked the expansions take and again it has sludge in the top! Also, the bleed pipe in the airing cupboard also has air in it! I know it's not quite high enough so needs to be extended into the loft.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Bahco,

I'll give the bucket test a go tomorrow. One other thing niggling me is my pump (Grundfos) is upset down. I have noticed the instructions say it shouldnt be upside down. However, the arrrow stating the flow is directed towards the motorised valve which I believe is correct?

I should have mentioned the rad has no air in it, just cold water.

Thanks.

After knocking out one new pump and a timer I now under the impression its a blockage. At least above the pump. I managed to move some crude and the pump's working again (still have the cold radiator though!).

The CH system has been running a few hours and I've just noticed that water is pouring out into the FE tank via the Expansion pipe! If I turn off the pump the water stops. Could this possibly down a blockage in the return to the pump, hence the water takes the easier route to the tank?

Hope this makes sense. All help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
more likely a blockage around the vent/feed pipe where it joins the system pipework.

block like this useally needs cutting out and replacing.

Deposits20on20wall20of2015mm20pipe.jpg

I think that's what I mean and it makes sense.

Thanks for replying so quickly.

run a magnet around the area i said see if it sticks to the pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back